Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Culture

In one of our PD sessions today, we were presented with the question "what is culture?"  Not an easy question; probably as difficult for me to answer as "What is your culture?"  It is not that I don't have a culture, I just feel it all depends on the situation.  So, does that mean that culture is always changing and each of us has a unique culture?  I know that who I am and some of my beliefs have changed in the five days I have been here.  Does that mean my culture has changed?   Would it have changed if I had stayed back home?  Will it change as much in the next five days?  It is hard to know.  


I like experiencing other cultures.  It makes me really understand what I am all about.  I have discovered that I may not be as open to all pieces of cultures as I would like to think I am.  Specifically, there is a part of the culture here in Guate that I am having a hard time grasping.  It is the idea of class division, specifically how it plays out at the school.   


The two gentleman that helped me get my dog from the airport are drivers at the school.  The job of a driver is to drive the school buses, but also to drive teachers and staff around for school related trips; they are "lower" than teachers and administration.  I spent over 9 hours with these two drivers and, to me, that forms a bond.  From later interactions with them, I get the impression they felt they were just doing their job.  Yesterday, two other gentlemen drove me to look at a house.  They also opened all doors for me and held an umbrella over my head when it started raining (barely).  Again, it is their job.  I am struggling with being the "upper" person that accepts help doing something I don't need help with, and still being called Ms. Renaud after spending 9 frustrating hours working towards a common goal.  And yet, if I offer to let them walk in the door first or open the door myself, it is considered rude.   I feel wrong having them do all these things for me, but the only way I know to show my respect is to let them.  It's a struggle for me.    


I talked to a teacher who is returning to CAG (Colegio Americana de Guatemala) after a few years away.  She feels the same way, but has accepted it as part of the culture.  Nevertheless, she learns the workers names, calls them by name, says hello to them, etc.  This allows the to do their job yet helps them to feel appreciated and acknowledged.  I guess that is a start; it is just difficult to do when all I know are their first names and they won't call me by mine.  

1 comment:

  1. I love your observations Carrie! It has always fascinated me that as Americans we are so dang independant. We believe we are capable of and therefore should be allowed to "do it myself!" (as my 3 year old would put it.)

    Amazingly, God asks us to do the same thing- to let go of our desire to do things ourselves, and allow Him to step in and lead the way. He is the ultimate servant-leader. Easy to ponder, difficult to practice!

    It sounds like you are surrounded by some amazing people. People who live with a heart to serve others. It may be their "class" that has them in that spot, but I bet they don't seem resentful about it.

    I wish all the best for you on this journey my friend. I will keep up with you, and probably live vicariously through you as well! ;)
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete